Saturday, September 7, 2013

~~~~~~My Personal Birthing Experience ~~~~~

I delivered three healthy boys. I decided to write about my firstborn experience. I was eighteen when I gave birth to my first child. My water bag broke at home. I was rushed to the local hospital. I stayed in labor for 12 hours.  My son was delivered with forceps that left a mark on his face because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. However, my son was a healthy 8 lbs 9oz baby.

       ~~~~~~My Personal Birthing Experience Compared to Chinese Women~~~~~

During the Pregnancy
>A Chinese mother to be is expected to eat herbal soups and nutritious foods.
>I had to take one iron pill everyday and eat a balance diet.

Tradition
>In the Chinese culture pregnant women can not give their unborn baby a name.
>I had several names to choose from before birth but didn't decide which name I wanted
   until the nurse came to complete discharge papers.

After Birth
>A Chinese mother is confined at home for 40 days.
>My grandmother said that I could not go outside my house until after my baby was a
    month old.


 Reference
Baby and Birth in China


1 comment:

  1. Sarah I'm glad to read that you had a normal delivery. That is an interesting fact about Chinese woman not naming their babies right away. I wonder what is the philosophical meaning behind this practice? When do they finally name the child?

    ReplyDelete